Sandvik Mining and Rock Technology is a business area within the Sandvik Group and a leading global supplier of equipment and tools, service, and technical solutions for the mining industry including rock drilling, rock cutting, rock crushing, loading, and hauling, and materials handling.
Are you looking to progress in your career? We have an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Manager to join our West Africa team in Kumasi, Ghana. Reporting to the Vice President – Sales Area West Africa, this role will be responsible for developing mutually beneficial relationships with customers within the West African region by both minimizing business risk and maximizing overall profitability in accordance with the commercial mandate.
About your job.
- Develop and implement the West Africa Sales Area commercial strategy aligned to the divisional strategies.
- Adjust the commercial strategy to meet changing markets and competitive conditions.
- Determine how to best engage with new businesses to minimize the commercial risk and maximize overall profitability in accordance with prevailing Business Area (BA) policies.
- Develop and maintain standard Sandvik Mining and Rock Solution’s (SMR) quotation/proposal/contract templates to drive consistent customer experience and mitigate commercial and legal risk.
- Develop standard templates and documents.
- Local implementation of global framework agreements.
- Manage the process of business risk assessment of contracts (new and amended) prior to business commitment, for sales areas and any distributor network within the region.
- Assess risks and viability of the long-term profitability, in collaboration with key stakeholders (e.g., BLMs and Business Controller) of proposed deals; query logic, ensure business cases are comprehensive and include any bundled (more than one Division) deals, in accordance with the bundling process, which requires an unbiased assessment of overall risk/benefits to SMR.
- Follow up with BLMs to ensure all relevant P&L global stakeholders have been included in the review process for new businesses and communicate where required.
- Responsible for Organizing training on commercial excellence. This includes benchmark practices, applicable business area policies, and Sandvik ways of working to embed commercial management tools, systems, and processes; review gap analyses and recommend additional training where required.
- Participate in the formulation of the SA strategy in line with company strategy.
- Responsible for logging and investigating any process deviations within the region, recommending next steps to drive accountability and continuous improvement.
- Work with the global commercial team in the ongoing development of commercial management continuous process improvements, process mapping, audit tools, and user guidelines.
- Monitor the maintenance of predictive operating cost models.
- Ensure that escalation-related calculations are carried out.
- Escalate any commercial deviations within new quotations, working cross-functionally as required to ensure compliance with other parts of the business such as Sandvik Credit, and in accordance with
- Monitor the Contract Management System processes to ensure compliance; review reports and take corrective action to address gaps.
- Responsible for closing out applicable actions as a result of audits, reviewing gap assessments, and recommending gap closures.
- Adhere to all SMR Policies and Procedures, especially the Safety Heath Environment and Quality policies.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Vice President – Sales Area West Africa
You are a hands-on experienced individual within the mining, construction, energy, or related sectors with strong commercial acumen. You’re comfortable working within multidisciplinary teams to deliver results. You possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills and can convey information clearly and concisely. You have the ability to listen to others and to respond to questions or concerns in a way that is helpful. Coupled with the right attitude, you have the business acumen to understand the current business environment and predict future trends. You must be enthusiastic about the role and possesses high ethical and professional standards.
Ideally, you should have the following:
- A minimum of 1st Degree in Finance, Commerce, Supply Chain, Law, or related areas is essential. A master’s degree or professional legal qualification with a focus on commercial contracts will be a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working with contractual documents and managing commercial issues, with 3 to 5 years of management experience.
- Demonstrated ability in assessing commercial risk as part of undertaking new business, leading negotiation strategy development, and participating in negotiations.
- Experience in contract development would be advantageous with an understanding of legal terms and conditions.
- Strong comprehension of financial reporting and business case assessment
- Experience in the development and execution of process audits, and in the development of new processes/policies/procedures
- Ability to identify relevant facts and risks as well as the bigger picture.
- French Language Proficiency will be an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 is essential.